Today is an awesome day! It's the 1.3 Prerelease!!!!
Check out the video contest we are doing and create your own Minecraft 1.3 commercial.
Yours could be featured on the Mojang YouTube channel!
Can't wait to see the amazingness you create!
It's finally time for Minecraft 1.3! As the norm is these days, we prepare the community and server providers with a prerelease. The official release date is August 1, so that's when everybody will get the update in the launcher.
Here's a brief collection of all the changes made since Minecraft 1.2.5:
- The game now runs an internal server in single-player mode
- The single-player server can be shared on LAN, with LAN server detection
- Made it possible to use client-side commands by enabling cheats (this is defaulted as disabled for old worlds)
- Added an optional "bonus chest" to get started quicker
- It's now possible to trade with villagers. Added emeralds as a currency
- You gain enchantment orbs from other tasks than just destroying monsters. Max enchantment level has been decreased to 30
- Servers can automatically suggest and distribute texture packs
- Added new world map elements (does not need a new map, but they'll only appear in new areas)
- Added cocoa beans
- Added an Ender chest
- Added tripwire
- Wooden logs can be placed sideways
- More detailed change log here: https://www.reddit.com/r/edstonehelper/comments/p6lol/planned_for_the_next_update/
Get the prerelease here:
- Client: https://assets.minecraft.net/1_3_1/minecraft.jar
- Server: https://assets.minecraft.net/1_3_1/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)
If you havent downloaded Minecraft you can grab it here: www.minecraft.net/download
Please note that the minecraft.jar doesn't need to be extracted or unpacked in any way, you simply replace the minecraft.jar file that is located in the ".minecraft/bin" folder.
Have a great week!
-Lydia (with some help from Jeb)
UPDATE: The release has been updated to 1.3.1 instead of just 1.3, because the obfuscation was wrong and made life (more) difficult for modders. We also fixed a couple of other minor issues. Normal users don't need to bother to download again, the patch doesn't contain any new features, and this 1.3.1 build will be pushed on Wednesday.