Update (23rd): Released ‘b’ snapshot for crash fixes!
It’s time for us to release the first snapshot from the development of 1.6. This version of Minecraft comes with huge changes to the base technology of the game. For instance, starting from Minecraft 1.6, we will build the game for Java 6 instead of Java 5. We are also aiming to raise the required OpenGL version to 2.0 (from 1.2 / 1.3, that Minecraft 1.5 and prior versions are using). Additionally we are working on a new launcher that will support these libraries, and also come with a bunch of new features such as version changing, detailed game settings, and so on.
It will obviously take a few more weeks to get everything in place, so please let us hear your opinions on the new technology and launcher. Send tweets to either @Dinnerbone, @grum_, or @jeb_, or make a post on r/minecraftsuggestions.
This snapshot in bullet point form:
- Added horses, based on the work of John Olarte (DrZhark), of Mo’ Creatures fame
- Added hay bales
- Added leashes
- Added carpets
- The “Respiration” enchantment now also helps seeing underwater
To get the snapshot, use the new launcher available in the link below. To return to 1.5.1, simply start the old launcher and play as normal.
- Windows: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/launcher/MinecraftDev.exe
- Mac/OSX: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/launcher/MinecraftDev.dmg
- Linux/Other: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/launcher/MinecraftDev.jar
Report bugs here (but please use the search function before you post duplicates!):
// The Minecraft and Minecraft Realms teams